Photographs can be seen in our Volvo Gallery
Volvo S60 V8 Supercar makes its debut in Sydney
13 February 2014
Volvo Polestar Racing unveiled its 650 HP Volvo S60 that will debut in the 2014 V8 Supercars by driving it across the Sydney Harbour Bridge under police escort.
“This is a significant day,” said Christian Dahl, owner of Polestar. “Polestar has been Volvo Car Group’s global performance and motorsport partner since 1996, and has campaigned Volvos in the World Touring Car Championship, the European Touring Car Championship and, currently, the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship. To that end, we’re looking forward to the challenge of the V8 Supercar Championship.”
Dahl was joined by Volvo Car Australia Managing Director Matt Braid, drivers Scott McLaughlin and Robert Dahlgren and team principal Garry Rogers to present the race car to the media.
Volvo S60 V8 Supercar makes its debut in Sydney
“This is an historic day in the history of Volvo Car Australia,” said Matt Braid. “As the first luxury car manufacturer to enter V8 Supercars with a factory team, we’re delighted to reveal our Volvo S60 race car to meet the challenge of the world’s toughest touring car series and strengthen the presence of the S60 model line – and Volvo brand – here in Australia.”
Utilising the resources of Volvo, Polestar and GRM, the Volvo Polestar Racing S60 V8 Supercar has been designed and built to V8 Supercars’ ‘Car of the Future’ regulations. These regulations include 18-inch wheels, transaxle gearbox and independent rear suspension (see specification details below).
"This is a race car like no other. It is really challenging, but fun, to drive. The power is insane, you need to treat it with respect. I am very much longing for the season start in Adelaide where I am going to face the biggest challenge of my racing career," said Dahlgren.
Volvo Car Australia has a rich heritage of motorsport in Australia, dating back to the 1960s, and posting some notable milestones, including winning the 1986 Australian Touring Car Championship with Robbie Francevic in a Volvo 240T.
Last year marked the 15th anniversary of Volvo winning Australia’s most famous race, the Bathurst 1000 in 1998 with Jim Richards and Rickard Rydell in a Volvo S40.
Indeed, some of Australia’s greatest names in motorsport have tasted success with Volvo including John Bowe and Peter Brock.
Garry Rogers commented: “For all the GRM staff it is incredibly satisfying to see the next step of all the hard work and energy they have put into designing and building the Volvo S60 V8 Supercar over the last 12 months. During this process, this same group of workers were also responsible for the preparation and running of our 2013 V8 Supercar Championship cars, so it makes me extremely proud to be surrounded by such a never-say- die group. We cannot wait to get on with the racing.”
With the first race at the Clipsal 500 fast approaching at the end of February, testing of the Valvoline Volvo S60 continues apace, with the official V8 Supercar test day taking place at Sydney Motorsport Park on 15 February.
Watch the S60 V8 Supercar cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA8u7x6KLF0
Volvo S60 V8 Supercar technical information
- Engine: Modified Volvo B8444S (see below)
- Transmission: Control Albins ST6 6 speed sequential Transaxle with integrated spool differential
- Front suspension: Double wishbone suspension, adjustable damper and cockpit adjustable front anti-roll bar
- Rear suspension: Control independent rear suspension, adjustable damper; cockpit adjustable anti-roll bar AP Racing 6 piston caliper, 395mm ventilated discs
- Brakes: AP Racing 4 piston caliper, 355mm ventilated discs
- Wheels: Control Rimstock 18” x 11” forged aluminium
- Tyres: Dunlop control tyre
- Weight: 1410KG (includes driver)
- Top speed: 298+ km/h
- 0-100 km/h: 3.2 seconds
- Steering: Custom rack and pinion power assisted steering
- Shocks: Öhlins TTX Dampers
- Electronics: MoTec ECU and Data Logging System
Engine technical information
- Block: Modified Volvo B8444S, 60 degree aluminium cylinder block
- Heads: Modified Volvo B8444S, aluminium
- Bore x Stroke: 95.5 x 87.1
- Capacity: 4989cc
- Compression: 10:1
- Power: 650bhp (estimated)
- Max revs: 7500rpm
- Induction: Naturally aspirated, eight throttle bodies
- Fuel: E85
- Liners: Cast in steel liners
- Valve train: Double overhead camshafts, direct acting tappets
- Ignition: Volvo B8444S coil on plug
- Injection: Port injection, one injector per cylinder, injection pressure: 5.5 bar
2014 V8 Supercars Calendar
February 15 – sydney.com V8 Supercars Test Day – Sydney Motorsport Park
Feb 27-Mar 2 – Clipsal 500 Adelaide – Adelaide
Mar 13-16 – 2014 Formula 1 Australian GP – Albert Park
March 28-30 – Tasmania 400 – Symmons Plains Raceway
April 4-6 – Winton 400 – Winton Motor Raceway
April 24-27 – ITM 500 Auckland – Pukekohe Park Raceway
May 16-18 – Perth 400 – Barbagallo Raceway
June 20-22 – Skycity Triple Crown Darwin 500 – Hidden Valley Raceway
July 4-6 – Townsville 500 – Reid Park
Aug 1-3 – Coates Hire Ipswich 400 – Queensland Raceway
Aug 22-24 – Sydney Motorsport Park 400 – Sydney Motorsport Park
Sept 12-14 – Wilson Security Sandown 500 – Sandown Raceway
Oct 9-12 – Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 – Mount Panorama
Oct 24-26 – Armor All Gold Coast – 600 Surfers Paradise
Nov 14-16 – Phillip Island 400 – Phillip Island Circuit
Dec 5-7 – Sydney 500 – Sydney Olympic Park