Photographs can be seen in our Volvo Gallery
Volvo C30. Compact Volvo loaded with driving pleasure and first–class safety
28 September 2006
• Sporty chassis and powerful engines
provide dynamic driving characteristics
• Comfortable and flexible
• World-class audio systems
• Interacting safety solutions for best-in-class safety
• Fuel efficient: 1.6 diesel, 4.9 litres /100 km
The new Volvo C30 is the smallest and most expressive car in Volvo’s model range. With a compact and solid body, sporty chassis, and powerful engines, it offers a very dynamic driving experience.
The interior, which is functionally designed with a number of smart refinements, offers an unexpectedly high level of comfort and flexibility, not least in the rear seat.
And like all of the other Volvo models, the C30 has been developed to be a very safe car. The objective is: best in class!
"The compact format has not prevented us from integrating much of what is best in the larger Volvo cars," says Håkan Abrahamsson, Project Director for the C30. "Even the smallest Volvo should provide the right premium feel – in all respects. This applies not only to the appearance and the impression of quality, but just as much to how it is to drive and use. Our intention is that the Volvo C30 should attract people who love driving."
Manoeuvrable and sporty to drive
Thanks to its small size and well thought out design, the Volvo C30 is very nimble to handle, even in limited space. Otherwise, it is built according to the same principles as the other Volvo cars. A compact and solid body, a generous track width, and a relatively long wheelbase contribute to giving it inspiring and stable driving characteristics. The chassis, with MacPherson front wheel suspension and a Multilink rear axle, is optimized to enhance fun to drive. High level of body control and precise response are key properties. A lowered sport chassis is available as an option.
DSTC, Dynamic Stability and Traction Control, is standard in most markets. Steering is electro-hydraulic (hydraulic for the 1.6-litre petrol), with a distinct and controlled steering feel.
The range of options for the Volvo C30 includes a number of alloy wheels in sizes from 15 to 18 inches.
Wide range of efficient engines
The Volvo C30 can be fitted with four and five-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, from 1.6 to 2.5 litres.
"Thanks to the sporty chassis and the car’s weight (curb weight 1204-1404 kg), it is very sporty, even with the 1.6-litre engines," says Håkan Abrahamsson. "And the range of engines will meet all customers’ demands."
All engines have four-valve technology and double overhead camshafts, which contribute to the quick response and good high-speed characteristics. The most powerful petrol engine (T5) is turbo charged, and has very high and even torque from low to high engine speeds (320 Nm from 1500 to 4800 rpm). This makes the Volvo C30 very responsive, with willing acceleration.
Range of engines
|Petrol engines||Configuration||Output kW/hp||Torque Nm|
|T5 (2.5 litres)||In-line 5-cyl turbo||162/220||320|
|1.8 Flexifuel (Sweden)||In-line 4-cyl||92/125||165|
|D5 (2.4 litre)||In-line 5-cyl turbo||132/180||350|
|D5 Belgium||In-line 5-cyl turbo||120/163||340|
|2.0D||In-line 4-cyl turbo||100/136||320|
|1.6D||In-line 4-cyl turbo||80/109||240|
Engine facts in brief:
• All engines are extremely compact and transversely mounted in the engine bay to offer the best possible safety and cabin space.
• Turbo technology is used on the T5 engine and on all diesel engines to provide the best possible performance.
• A six-speed manual gearbox is used with the T5 and 2.0D engines.
• A five-speed Geartronic automatic gearbox is available with the five-cylinder petrol and diesel engines.
• A particulate filter is available with all diesel engines.
• The 1.6D, the smallest diesel engine, has very low fuel consumption – 4.9 litres/100 km.
Smart functions offer great comfort and
Despite its compact format, the Volvo C30 is capable of offering very comfortable and flexible interior space with a surprising big-car feel. The car offers place for four adults. The front seats are ergonomically designed and offer a correct and relaxing seating position. It is easy to move the seat forward and rearward, for convenient access to the rear seat. The tapered design of the B-pillar also contributes to the easy entrance.
The rear seat has two separate seats and a foldable armrest is available for enhanced comfort. The seats are positioned somewhat towards the centre of the car to provide space and a good forward view. This also provides space for storage in the side panels. Furthermore the centred position of the rear seats facilitates communication with the front seat occupants.
The rear seat backrests are individually foldable. Folding can be easily done when standing behind the car as well as from the passenger compartment.
The glass tailgate is very convenient and easy to open and close. It offers good access to the cargo compartment. To keep items in the cargo compartment from view, two load covers are available: a soft and a hard version.
Air conditioning and air quality system for
a pleasant cabin climate
To provide a pleasant cabin climate, air conditioning and a pollen filter are standard in the Volvo C30. Alternatively the car can be specified with ECC (Electronic Climate Control), which is completely automatically controlled and the chosen cabin temperature is kept constant regardless of the outside temperature. Furthermore, it is possible to set the temperature individually for the right and left sides.
The ECC system can be supplemented by IAQS (Interior Air Quality System), which continuously monitors the carbon monoxide level of the incoming air and closes the air vents when the level is too high, for the in-cabin climate comfort and health of the occupants of the car. The system also includes an active charcoal filter to prevent dust, exhaust particles, pollen and unpleasant odours from entering the cabin through the ventilation system at any time.
World-class audio with deep bass and an
"We have chosen to give the C30 one of the very best factory-fitted audio systems in the world," says Håkan Abrahamsson. "And the special body, with wide doors and deep side panels in the rear, has proven to provide an extra dimension for the sound, with extreme depth and powerful bass reproduction."
There are three audio system levels to choose from:
• Performance – with a 4x20W amplifier and four loudspeakers
• High Performance – with a 4x40W amplifier and eight loudspeakers
• Premium Sound – with a digital class D amplifier with ICE Power technology from Alpine, an output of 5x130W, Dolby® Pro Logic II Surround, and ten loudspeakers from Danish Dynaudio®.
On the two highest levels, High Performance and Premium Sound, it is possible to play CDs with music in MP3 and WMA formats. This means that the CD changer can store hundreds of music tracks.
In addition, the High Performance and Premium Sound systems are fitted with an extra AUX connector for connecting auxiliary equipment such as a portable MP3 player.
Starting in the spring of 2007, an adapter for connecting an iPod or a USB flash drive will also be available as an accessory. With the Volvo USB/iPod Music Player, it is easy to connect ones own music player and to control it with the car’s controls, which contributes to increased safety and convenience. Information is shown in the audio system’s display.
Sleek body design for good all-round view
"The fact that the Volvo C30 is fun and stimulating to drive is a result of its well controlled body motions, quick steering response and predictable behaviour," says Håkan Abrahamsson. "This means that it is easy to control, even in unexpected situations, which thereby contributes to safer driving."
In addition to the predictable driving characteristics, an unobstructed view is very important to preventive safety.
The Volvo C30’s special design, with the side windows at the right height, creates a panoramic view from all seats. The inwardly curving rear side windows and the unique glass tailgate provide a very good rear view, not least at an angle rearward. The tapered B-pillars also contribute, which offer a clear view between the side of the body and the head restraint. This also gives the rear seat passengers a good view through the front side windows.
Advanced information systems offer good
To make it easier for the driver to detect other vehicles in the blind spot at the side of the car, the Volvo C30 can be fitted with BLIS (Blind Spot Information System). This system, which is an option, uses cameras mounted in the side door mirrors to register if another vehicle is in the blind spot. If this is the case, a lamp near the mirror illuminates to alert the driver in order to increase the possibility that correct decisions are taken.
To help reduce the risk of the driver being distracted by untimely information in critical situations, IDIS (Intelligent Driver Information System) is standard on the Volvo C30. IDIS is an electronic information system that continuously monitors certain functions in the car such as steering wheel movements, accelerator pedal movement, the direction indicator controls, and braking. This information is processed and at a certain level, information that is not crucial to safety, such as text messages or incoming calls to the integrated telephone, is delayed until the situation is less busy for the driver.
If the driver prefers, IDIS can be set up to let GSM calls through in all driving situations. This is done in the car’s menu settings.
Advanced body structure contributes to
effective collision protection
"Although the C30 is 22 centimetres shorter than the S40 model, it has the same safety level as its sedan sibling, even with respect to rear impacts" says Håkan Abrahamsson. "The body structure is designed in the same way to contribute to controlled deformation, and the inner protective systems are similar."
• The front’s structure is divided into zones that are constructed of
different grades of steel with different deformation characteristics, to
distribute and absorb collision forces in a controlled and effective manner.
• The lower side members are designed to help prevent the front wheels from being forced into the cabin in a collision.
• The engine is transversely mounted and very efficiently packed to have room for movement in the engine bay when the front is deformed.
• Cross members, sills, and door pillars are very solidly constructed to keep the cabin as intact as possible in a collision.
• Dual-stage airbags, safety belt tensioners in all four seating positions, force limiters on the front belts, and collapsible pedals help protect the occupants of the car in a frontal collision.
• The steering column deforms in a controlled manner in a horizontal movement to interact with the airbag as effectively as possible.
• SIPS (Side Impact Protection System), side impact airbags, and IC (Inflatable curtains) contribute to effective protection in side impacts.
• The rear safety structure is designed with an optimized mix of different grades of steel to provide strength and carefully controlled deformation in a rear impact.
• The rear side members are designed to absorb most of the impact forces in the early phases of a rear impact.
• The fuel tank is well-protected in front of the rear axle.
• WHIPS (Volvo’s Whiplash Protection System) is standard on the front seats, and contributes to reducing the risk of neck injuries.
• The gently rounded front and the deep spoiler are designed to reduce the risk of injury to pedestrians and cyclists.